Project Assistant Job Description
(to download a PDF of this job description click the black box above)
FRIDAY 5th APRIL MIDDAY : Deadline to apply
FRIDAY 12th APRIL: Shortlisted candidates informed and invited to interview
15th-17th APRIL: Interview meet with Creative Producer (either in person or online, time slot and date to be discussed with CP)
Maison Foo are looking for a project assistant to support on marketing, administration and logistics for our “Meet Your Neighbour Installation”. A project that builds on the success of our new touring show ‘A Thing Mislaid’ and Refugee Friends scheme, which has culminated in us being awarded Theatre Company of Sanctuary status by City of Sanctuary.
We are a small arts organisation with a flexible approach to working and actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. As a parent led company, we also promote and champion flexible working around family life and are open to supporting and working with juggling parents in this role!
The Project Assistant is a vital addition to the Foo team and will work closely with our Creative Producer during the development of our ‘Meet Your Neighbour Installation’ to ensure the project runs smoothly.
TYPE OF ENGAGEMENT: Temporary freelance – you will be responsible for your own national insurance contributions and tax
CONTRACT LENGTH: 10 June 2019 – 14 February 2020.
FEE: £110 per day, totalling £3960 for contract.
WORKING HOURS: An average of 1 day per week for 36 weeks, with hours ideally split across the week.
PLACE OF WORK: Maison Foo has a flexible approach to home working though some time will be required at the company offices/on location.
REPORTING TO: Creative Producer
EXPENSES: Any necessary travel will be reimbursed
(please see below for an outline of duties and further project description)
PLEASE NOTE this role is subject to ACE funding. The company are due to find out on the success of their application mid to late May 2019.
HOW TO apply:
To be considered for this role please send:
- a CV detailing your experience and training
- a covering letter detailing what experience you have relevant to this position (see role outline below)
- details of 2 referees
DEADLINE TO APPLY: FRIDAY 5TH APRIL (MIDDAY)
Please send information to email@example.com Feel free to email us if you have any questions.
10 years old in 2018, Maison Foo exist to create mischievous new theatre and creative experiences, for both indoors and outdoors, that challenges audiences and tickles their imagination. We devise visual theatre that collides the everyday with the surreal drawing on influences from puppetry, clowning and physical theatre. Weaving together strong narratives with visual landscapes to create absurd works that are rooted in social conscience.
We also love to inspire and encourage creativity and imaginative thinking in others through participatory work, which spans a wide range of activity and settings including arts and health, community outreach, creative consultancy and educational workshops and residencies for primary right through to university level.
Maison Foo are an associate artist of Derby Theatre and in 2018, were awarded ‘Theatre Company of Sanctuary’ status for our work with Sanctuary seekers through our Refugee Friends Scheme and our new touring show, A Thing Mislaid. Please see this short documentary for what we have been up to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yvTn1ABe4
Foo are on a mission to continue the important work of making, the art we create and the places we visit, more welcoming and accessible for refugees and asylum seekers.
Meet Your Neighbour is a new project for Maison Foo, an evolution of our recent work, with an ambition to reach more sanctuary seekers, with deeper engagement, across the country. The finished project will be an installation, that blends audio documentary, visual art and street theatre, which will celebrate sanctuary seeker artists and our human commonalities. This will be toured across the country in many different settings, in addition to a national tour alongside A Thing Mislaid in 2021.
This first phase is the research, development, content gathering and testing of Meet Your Neighbour. Starting in June, Foo will travel to partner cities across the England to empower sanctuary seeker artists, document their positive stories and gather this content into a scratch to test in Autumn 2019.
Project Assistant Role outline:
1. MARKETING & PROMOTIONAL
1.1 Support the design and implement the delivery of social media, digital and print based marketing campaigns.
1.2 Posting and sharing on all social media channels on a discussed schedule throughout the project.
1.3 Design of Mailchimp html emails and maintenance of online mailing list.
1.4 To compose and issue event invitations where required.
1.5 Work with the company’s designers to create project specific marketing material and manage print deadlines and distribution.
1.6 Support in the design and creation of methods to capture audience data and feedback
1.7 To track all audience and participant figures throughout the project.
1.8 Regularly update the company website.
1.9 Record, file and share all reviews and audience reactions post project activity.
2.1 Ensure all correspondence and general enquiries are dealt with promptly.
2.2 Regularly update Creative Producer and/or Artistic Director on project developments and enquiries.
2.3 Record and track project developments for evaluation purposes.
2.4 Organise and file all receipts and invoices.
3.1 Book all necessary travel and accommodation for the creative team.
3.2 Produce relevant project reports
3.3 Communicate with all creative team to confirm travel times and locations.
4.1 Contribute to the evaluation, reporting and maintenance of project partnerships.
4.2 Undertake any other company related business as determined by the Creative Producer.
● Good experience and proven ability in delivery of arts marketing campaigns.
● Experience of creating content and implementing social media/online campaigns
● Experience and proven ability in administration.
● Experience and proven ability in team-working.
● Excellent communication skills (face to face, telephone and written).
● Fluent in English both spoken and written.
● Good IT skills on word-processing, database management, document layout, spreadsheets, email and internet.
● Experience of planning and project management.
● Some experience of book-keeping; numerate and comfortable with figures and drawing up invoices.
● Excellent organisational skills, including careful attention to detail.
● Ability to take initiative.
● Take a creative approach to problem solving.
● Have a flexibility of approach.
● Able to prioritise work, especially when under pressure.
● Work to deadlines.
● Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
● 2 or more years’ experience of working within arts marketing.
● Experience and proven ability in arts administration.
● A good knowledge of Word and Excel.
● Ability to maintain websites. Experience of Squarespace or similar web platforms.
● Experience and proven ability in management accounts and of financial software packages.
● Knowledge of legal aspects of management – contracts, copyright, insurance, health and safety.
● Ability to work flexibly across the week.